Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Confirmation

Tonight, Austin and I went to the final test for the confirmants at our church this year. I am a mentor to one young man and Austin is in next year's class. It was really neat to go and see what they had learned this year.

Austin and I had a long talk afterwards about what confirmation means to our family and if he was really ready to take that next step. He accepted Christ as his Savior in second grade and I wanted to make sure he was still committed to that. He said that he was and he was ready to take the next step. To Steve and I, confirmation is our children confirming their own faith in Jesus Christ and making a commitment to serve Him and our church with their talents and gifts. I think all too often it is just something that is done because you are in seventh grade and not because of any personal decision or conviction and I believe that is wrong. Austin is ready to go forward and confirm his personal belief. If he wasn't, I would want him to wait a year or however long it takes to make the decision with his heart.

No comments: