Friday, July 11, 2008

You did WHAT?!?!?!

We went to get Austin from camp today and everyone was very excited for him to come home. They had a little program and it was really neat. They sang some songs, and then we were ready to go. Austin got his stuff together and then we had to pick up his medicine and picture CD from the camp office before we could leave. Since the office was on the way to the car, with a line, I told Austin to go put his duffel bag, backpack, and sleeping bag in the van while I waited in line. OK, I know....trusting Austin with the keys was my first mistake. It's the last time I'll do it, too.

He comes back to me, not really looking at me and I notice his hands are completely empty...nothing in them. So I thought (prayed) Aidan had the keys. When I asked him where they were, he said he had locked them in the van. I thought for sure he was joking. He couldn't possibly be serious...could he?!? It was 98 degrees outside, with no breeze whatsoever, and we had a sick Aidan, and an icky feeling mom. I told him very funny...give me the keys. He couldn't. Nope, not so much. He really did lock them in the van! He hit the lock, then put them on the seat, then proceeded to shut the door. What?!?!?! We're in the middle of nowhere, and I could not have had the good fortune of bringing the truck with the keyless entry...nope, I had old Bessy.

So, he said that Dave (camp director) would maybe be able to pick it. Oh, fantastic...go to church camp for a week and that's the first thing that comes to mind??? Well, apparently, it was Dave's first thought, also. He called Chris and asked him to try it. Apparently, our van is "too new" (hahahahahaha) to pick the lock, it turns out. [It's a 2000.] So, we quickly decided to call the only locksmith in town before his hours were up and I was charged after-hours fees.

The little dude (Nick) showed up about 45 minutes later and in three seconds, he had the van open. He really wasn't expensive either. I was so relieved. I knew Steve wouldn't be able to come get us. We can't find the second set of keys and he was over 3 hours away from us. I didn't want to pay someone from Cedar Rapids to come up there to unlock it. Really we were very blessed a town that size had a locksmith and he was able to get right in.

All in all, Austin had a fantastic experience at camp. They did rock climbing, caving, archery, swimming, had a dance, and other fun things. The best part for me (and what impacted him the most, I could tell) was the night the counselors told their testimonies. Austin was retelling me a few of them and actually had tears in his eyes as he said them. It was awesome to see and I was so happy they did that, also.

No comments: