Friday, October 3, 2008

I Love Nursing!

Can I just say that I love nursing? Apart from all the benefits for baby, I have already lost 28 pounds!! Yay! I cannot wait to get back to the gym, but I was told I have to wait until after my six week appointment for that. And, the middle of my incision still has a little opening, so it probably wouldn't be wise to push it anyway.

Hannah nurses like a champ. She has had no problems and is on a great "schedule" already. She eats pretty much every three hours during the day, then ramps it up in the evening and eats every hour and a half. Then, by ten, she's tuckered out. She sleeps a good four hours, then eats. This is our problem hour, though. She likes to be awake then for a few hours and wants someone, anyone, to stay awake with her. This doesn't make for a happy mama. Daddy has been staying awake with her the last several nights after she eats. This is especially difficult when the triplets get up around 7 these days and my day has to start then. She will usually go another four hour stretch once she's back to sleep, but it never seems like it because she is so wide awake at 3 am. She also has a bad habit of being wide awake during the triplets nap time, so I don't get naps during the day. It is nice, though, because three days a week, we get Hannah and Mommy alone time.

I don't know why I always worry prior to a baby being born if I will be able to nurse or not. I always fret that maybe it isn't wise to not have any bottles in the house or maybe I should stock up on formula "just in case." I think this is exactly what formula companies want moms to think. Thankfully, I have never had any supply issues and every baby, with some work, has nursed well. The triplets had a preemie suck, but eventually got over that. The second day Hannah was a little lazy, but she has really done well since then. I am thrilled it is working for us because I fear she would not get a whole lot of mommy time any other way. The triplets are not jealous of it, either. Ethan likes to sit right next to me while I'm nursing and just lean in to me. Kind of like my sniff-tester - Aidan - when I was pumping for the triplets! Aidan has had me read books while she's eating. We find ways to work with everyone. It is so much less stressful to not have to worry about preparing, washing, warming, bottles.

I know not everyone is able to nurse and I am so thankful that I am able to.

No comments: