Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry CHRISTmas

This year I have been reflecting on Christmas more than any other year. I don't know why...I've been a "real" Christian for over seven years and was raised in the church, so I have truly understood the meaning of it my entire life and especially in the last seven years. It seems to have been triggered by my children. Which is another thing that is perplexing to me, as I have had children for the last twelve years and three of those Christmases I've had infants.

This year, though, it just is impacting me more than any other year. I think about how Mary must have felt. Here she was, never having been with a man, and yet, she was to birth a son who would save the world. Can you imagine how that must feel??? We all think our children are special, but to know that you are carrying, and mothering, the Savior? That is powerful.

Then Joseph. Here he was, engaged to a woman (which was as good as being married in those days), who was pregnant, and it sure wasn't his! Yet, he trusted God and did what was "right." That is unfathomable to me and we could all learn a lesson in trust from Joseph.

The birth of Jesus is a very special time indeed, but without His death and resurrection, it would mean very little. Jesus died for our sins, for my sins.

And God as Father, giving us His son, the human part of Himself. That is what is really on my heart this year. I cannot imagine purposely putting your own child here specifically to die for everyone else. Watching your only child be persecuted and dying a horrible death upon that cross and listening to him crying out to his Father, feeling abandoned. That would be so hard, and yet, God loves each and every one of us so much that he was allowing this sacrifice. As a mother, I wouldn't be able to give up even one of my children, and I have five. I am very selfish that way. I would much rather have something happen to myself than to my children. If one of my children is hurt in any way, that Mama part of me wants to stand up and get in the face of whoever wronged my child, no matter how minuscule it may seem. Yet, so many people persecuted Jesus and eventually put him to death, and God was willing to not only forgive those same people, but also give them eternal life.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16

That verse usually seems so "Christian cliche" that I try to avoid using it, but it is such a powerful verse. That one verse sums up the whole reason Jesus came for us. To literally save us from ourselves, if we choose to accept Him and believe in Him. We are so far from perfect, we need Jesus.

On this day, I encourage you to step back from the gifts and hubbub and think about all that Jesus did for us, and God as His Father and our heavenly Father, through His miraculous birth and ultimately, His death and resurrection. If you have not accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior, please take a moment to do so. It means everything to God, He wants to spare us all. And I wouldn't want to miss anyone in heaven!

No comments: